Sunday, February 2, 2014

Lessons From The Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrell’s powerful story stayed on my bookshelf for 7 years.

I had received a copy of the book when it first came out in 2007, but I neglected to read it. I knew the story. I understood and believed in what this Navy SEAL had done. I acknowledged the credit this warrior deserved. I’m not sure what held me back from reading the book.
Two Texans - Two Great Americans

But this year, the movie was released, and with all the commentary and reviews, I was finally prompted to read this amazing account of valor. I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I will! Mainly to simply show support for this courageous man that determined in his heart that the heroic actions of his comrades would be told.

That fact right there is the key reason Marcus wanted to share his story with us. Keeping a promise made to oneself - or anyone else for that matter - at all costs is a lesson worth learning for all of us! Truly inspiring!

But the lessons don’t end there. I finally grabbed a pen and paper as I read, to jot them all down, so I wouldn’t ever forget any of them.

Here’s a spoiler alert.  I’m sure everyone knows the story and how it all ended, so my spoiler alert isn’t about that, but rather simply the insights and lessons I learned from the book as I read.  If you want to read the book before reading about it through someone else’s filter and personal thoughts, then don’t read any further.

One of the first lessons, I learned for myself is that (in my opinion) the whole root of the SEAL teams is humility. I didn’t know that. I had read Chris Kyle’s book American Sniper and truly believed him to be a humble man. In fact, that is one of the things I admired most about Chris Kyle. But I thought he was probably an exception.  I learned from Marcus rather, that humility is the whole basis of the SEAL training.  Let me explain.

Marcus goes into quite a bit of detail of what the SEAL training consisted. Something I noted was that he said over and over how the words of his friend and local trainer, Billy Shelton, kept coming back to him. “Listen to even the slightest suggestion of those training you, and do it.” It was often what kept him going throughout his training. But what it showed me is that throughout his training, those words came back to him and then he followed through. That takes nothing less than true humility. A proud man may have thought he knew better. Arrogance may have led one to ignore a minor suggestion or something that could have been deemed trivial. The men who make it through the program are the ones that are humble enough to listen and obey.  It reminded me of Ben Franklin’s poignant words: “He, who cannot obey, cannot command.” I believe the root of all that is simply humility.

Another lesson from the book that I truly took to heart, of course, is the fact that Marcus truly believed that God is still in the business of miracles.  I lost count of how many times Luttrell should have lost his rifle, but miraculously it was always right there when he needed it.  Marcus gave God the credit each time. Also in that, we see that though God is always there for us, He still expects and requires action from us – a minor insight, but huge in the way of life.

Clearly there was a time Marcus Luttrell experienced an Alvin York moment. You know the World War I hero that initially wasn’t sure if he believed in war because of his faith.  Marcus had a moment like that, too; but he didn’t get the time and opportunity to go to a mountain top to pray about it for a few days first as Sgt. York did. Luttrell’s moment was and had to be a flat out in the middle of it decision.

Personally, I believe whether or not those SEALs decided to kill those goat herders, the outcome would have been the same. Either way, it still would have brought down that firefight with hundreds of Taliban against 4 of the bravest men that has ever walked the face of this earth. Certainly not a very good ratio, but I am sure there were moments those ruthless Taliban must have wondered with whom in the world they were really dealing!

What I believe the lesson is here, is the Biblical message of “reap what you sow”. I firmly believe because Marcus chose to follow the insane and destructive, but formal Rules of Engagement (ROE) letting those men live, God gave him grace later. I believe because he offered life to those Afghan goat herders, God spared Marcus’s life through the protection of the Pashtun people.

I don’t know why the other 3 SEALs had to die, or those that attempted the rescue mission. I am not even going to try to understand that. But I don’t believe it was due to anything they did or didn’t do. It was simply the evil of war. My heart grieves for those American warriors and their families. My heart also grieves for Marcus having to live with that memory.

We will probably never understand why it played out the way it did. Maybe God had a purpose in Americans hearing the story of the noble gallantry and courage of these four fine men. Someone had to live to tell it. Maybe God wants us all to pay more attention to the enemy that exists for our nation. Perhaps, God wanted those of us sitting here “safely in the coastlands” to fully understand the impact of this war. I don’t know, but what I do know is He was there through that entire battle and for the rest of Marcus’s journey.

One more lesson (something I believe, anyway) is that we see as Marcus struggled to survive, over and over it was his incredible thirst that pushed him forward. Out of all his injuries, it seems this was the one that was most difficult to bear. Yet in that very trial, he was pushed onward, motivated to continue. His thirst wouldn’t allow him to give up.  I believe in that fact alone is an abundantly clear message that sometimes it is our trials that get us through. We don’t always understand the pain and suffering, but in moments like Marcus experienced, we can see that tests and trials are what in fact, give us life allowing us to continue.

Finally, we see the intercessory prayer from friends and family that refused to lose hope. They continued their prayer vigil despite what media was reporting and what the obvious would seem to be. That is nothing less than pure faith brought to fruition through the prayer of all those caring people and finally revealed in the amazing story of Marcus Luttrell and the brothers that he loves.

Yep, "mission accomplished".

 

No comments:

Post a Comment