Sunday, May 17, 2015

But Still...


I am not going to be popular with this post. That’s ok - I think - I’m already not popular.

I watched a video the other day that I could NOT get out of my thoughts. Being still on my mind this morning, I decided to write about it.

As I watched the video the first time, my spirit was grieved. That is the only way I know how to put it. I sensed an incompleteness; a senselessness; almost an irrationality as I watched. And yet, it is a moving video with an important, compelling message. I can understand the heart from which it was created. It is beautiful. It is Biblical…well almost.
 


Dare I say anything negative about it? Dare I criticize something with such righteous intentions? I don’t know. Maybe I shouldn’t. But silence in the face of error? That isn't right, either.

The video will stir the hardest of hearts. I couldn’t help believing that every Christian should get behind this beautiful attempt to witness to those of the Muslim faith. Instead I cringed and I almost feel like I need to apologize for that. But still…

For starters, this video is full of contextualization. The most apparent case being the fact that they equate Jesus with Isa al Masih. Now to those without understanding, Isa is supposedly the equivalent of Jesus to members of Islam. But to the Muslim, that is far from the truth. The Muslims have great disdain for Jesus. They make no correlation between Jesus and Isa, whom they revere.

The Muslim’s Isa is not believed to be the Son of God according to those of that faith. He is simply a messenger for Muhammad, who is also inferior to Muhammad. I cringed as I saw the comparison in the video. It sickened me, much as Rick Warren’s prayer in the name of Jesus, and Isa, at the inauguration of President Obama sickened me. Contextualization is not the answer. (I have written about this before.) I don’t think Jesus would be happy with the comparison. Trying to make the two “faiths” somehow equal is simply not rational.

Secondly, those of the Muslim faith are not our brothers. And there is no place in Scripture that tells us this is the case. I couldn't help but think what the Jews, as well as Christians in Muslim nations, who suffer daily at the hands of evil jihadists would think if they see this wicked people referred to as 'brothers". It simply is not Biblical. They are our enemies. Love your enemy, yes; but we are not to embrace them, or adapt for them.

Finally, the captions are boldly in English, with the message written in the Arab language shown in much smaller script below. I had to ask myself; “Who is this message really created to reach?” Muslims? Or Americans? I think the answer is obvious. It was created to change the hearts and minds of Americans in an attempt to change the way our nation deals with those of this religion - actually political ideology. Just love them in. No need for war.
“The People of the Cross come to die at your gates”; “If you won’t hear our message with words, then we will show you with our lives, laid down.”
Really? Is this message any different than that of the Muslim jihadist? The jihadist who displays an irrational desire to die in a "holy war" that will lead them to the Promised Land and 72 virgins. God doesn’t call us to die! He calls us to live and he calls us to life!

It all sounds so holy and so very righteous though, doesn't it? To be willing to die for our faith?  And we should!!  When necessary! But dying at the feet of our enemy isn’t what we are called to do, or to actively seek as this video implies. Yes, we should be willing to be martyrs if we are called to that place, but we certainly are not to actively seek it! That is what the jihadists do!

Am I wrong to think it is going to take more than bringing the Gospel to wipe out ISIS? Yes, it is the Christians’ responsibility to bring the Gospel to these people. But it is the responsibility of our Christian nation’s government to bring justice upon them! There is a time for war!

So my spirit was grieved. Big deal some might say. However, it caused me to investigate further. I researched the creator of the video, Michael Chang who only says he is non-denominational in his theology. But I found an interview on One Peter Five , (a Catholic website whose goal is to restore and rebuild Catholic culture and tradition), where the video was first posted which led to the viral attention. Once again, I was not surprised to see Chang is of the younger generation that cannot be interviewed without getting in an attack on the American Dream? For crying out loud!! Why is that??? Oh, and he doesn’t like the term “conversion”. Now there is an evil term if I ever saw one. God help us! It always seems to be the same with the new Christianity that is permeating our society, today. And for whatever reason, I seem to be able to pick up on it in an instant and I can't keep quiet, thereby always getting myself in trouble...with some...

I can't help but believe those who do this are all a part of a movement (most of them unwittingly) that seeks to diminish the United States. This movement is going to lead to a movement that will not support Israel. It is a movement that will end up (and already has in some instances) supporting the Palestinians, (Hamas, Palestinian Authority, Iran, etc.) instead of Israel. (In fact, the pope just made a statement that the Vatican will officially recognize Palestinian Statehood. This is exactly why we found the video on a Catholic website, in my opinion.) It is a movement that will never support a strong, national defense for America. They are much too holy for that. It is a movement that will lead us to Zechariah 14:2. Every nation will turn against Israel. And that is why I cringe.

But still, I was glad I had researched the creator of this video! Below is the crucial missing piece that I so longed to hear. Michael Chang does finally reveal in this  interview an extremely important truth. It is the answer I am always looking for, and I was glad to see he at least included it somewhere. We are not all called to the same thing!!

Chang was asked in this interview if the video might fall short in its message. The truth of the matter is the message in his video does fall far short and that fact is critical. Why? Because the majority of people are only going to see the video and not what Chang states further. There is an extremely important misconception that is already propagated within the viral video. He has the opportunity to correct the problem in this interview and he does a fairly good job at making the distinction. But how many will see the latter statement? How many will miss this essential truth? I have included the excerpt from the interview here, because I believe it is so important.
1P5:  What do you say to those who believe that this message falls short? To those who want to take arms and protect the innocent Christians being persecuted by ISIS? Martyrdom offers a powerful witness, but it is also a great evil on the side of those doing the killing. Is it truly right to do nothing? Should Christians not stand up and defend themselves?
MC: This message does fall short. To try to send a comprehensive, all encompassing message to ISIS all under four minutes is impossible. God has so much more to say to them. And he will find a way. Should we fight back and defend ourselves? If you’re called to be a witness for Christ and to be a missionary to these people then lay your weapons down and love them to the death. But if you’re called, lets say to the US Army and you’re sent to fight ISIS, then submit to the authority of your country and fight. Be faithful to what you’re called to. Ecclesiastes 3:8 says there is a time for everything…a time of love, and a time to hate, a time for war, and a time for peace. God values life. Governments were created to preserve life. Sometimes in order to preserve life, governments have to go in and wage war.
Thank God Chang said this somewhere, but I’m afraid it is dangerously too little, too late. The video is going to be the main message that permeates our society; especially our youth....and probably while ISIS simply laughs.

But still, we must witness! We must! But I pray, only in truth.

For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. ~Romans 13:1-4
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment