Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Other Side of Interruptions

Well we now have the Vice Presidential debate behind us. It started out poorly. I didn't think I would be able to make it through. I am a political junkie, and I knew if I didn't want to watch it, the majority of the people would not. But being the junkie I am, I decided I would power through.

For starters, the Democratic candidate, Tim Kaine, interrupted over and over and over. I thought about counting his interruptions, but I knew the pundits would indeed count for me and I could find out later. To be exact, there were 72 intrusions by Kaine; in 90 minutes time! Good grief!!

But perhaps what bothered me most was that within the first 10 minutes, Kaine had invoked the Christian "faith" in one manner or another, three times. Now, I don't have a problem with candidates talking about our faith. In fact, I think it is imperative they do. But I want it to be sincere and real. Now perhaps Kaine is sincere about his faith. I am not questioning that. He is Catholic and he is proud of that fact. But it is his party that voted God out of their Democratic platform in 2012 during their national convention.

For their candidate to deliberately invoke this topic when it wasn't even in the parameters of the question is a bit hypocritical, in my mind. And it is a heartbreaking fact that there is far too much in the Democratic platform that is contrary to the Bible and Christian faith  - i.e. abortion and gay marriage for two examples.

But the comments didn't really surprise me. The Democrats have long used this tactic. They absolutely know they must bring up faith to garner votes. In fact, having watched them for some time, I have often seen them use Republican policies and claim them as their own. They are pro-God when needed; they are pro-2nd Amendment only when needed; pro-military and veteran, only as needed. They cloak the abortion issue in a soft, comfortable wrap of pro-choice. "Leave it to the states" is their out. Or, "A woman is intelligent enough to know what is best for her life."

You would think it was a Republican on stage with many of the points the Democrats will try to make. They talk the talk in a debate like this, but their policies when it comes to action are completely the reverse. This isn't the first time this has happened. It is so interesting to me that they do this! They KNOW they must move right in order to get votes. That should tell us a lot about our nation. We are far more conservative than the left and the media pundits would have us believe! They are using the naïveté of our citizens for their own benefit. After they win, they simply move forward with their liberal and destructive policies. Tim Kaine didn't fool everyone, however. He fully revealed who he truly is, in my opinion.

For me, the best part of the debate came toward the end when they were asked about their faith. Both men were gracious and sincere. Mike Pence was especially thoughtful and bold with an honest testimony of his faith; speaking of a personal relationship with Jesus and when he had come to know our Lord as his Savior. Jesus is the reason for his strong convictions which he has not and will not compromise.

Another minor thing I noted, but was important to me, was that whenever a Scripture was spoken, or even a poignant quote from a past leader, the interruptions stopped. It was as if everyone knew this "word" was worth listening to. The importance drew us all to the power of what was being said.

All in all, I am thankful I stuck it out and watched the debate. I believe much was revealed about the character of each man. Truly the best part was in the final moments and if you were one that just couldn't stick it out, as I have heard so many claim, you can watch the most important segment in the video below.

Take it in slowly and listen to the other side of the interruptions....well, almost.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment